Wednesday, April 1, 2009

'A Little Bit Warmer' Ms Dynamite Chooses TL Audio

August 2005

Multi-award winning artist Ms. Dynamite (real name Niomi McLean Daley) has been using a range of TL Audio gear for both the recent Live8 concert in Hyde Park, London, and several live appearances including an exclusive set at Abbey Road studios - which will be televised at a later date.

Ms Dynamite is one of 10 brothers and sisters and hails from an estate in North London; she has made a huge impact on the music scene both in the UK and around the world since her debut single 'Booo' was unleashed to an appreciative audience back in May 2001. The success of this collaboration with respected producer ‘Sticky?led to a flurry of interest in the young MC and having already established herself as one of the best female MC's on the underground circuit, Ms Dynamite managed to create a debut album that was intelligent, innovative and that gave her a deserved place in the forefront of the Urban and Mainstream music scenes. 'A Little Bit Deeper' is undoubtedly a modern day classic, and her follow up (due for release in October) is much anticipated.

We recently caught up with Ms Dynamite whilst she was preparing for a live recording session at Abbey Road Studios in London. Here are the highlights from the interview:


Niomi, your career so far has been a kind of magical journey, what has been the highlight so far?

- Wow, good question! Yeah, I guess it has been?but honestly no one thing?there has been so many amazing things ?just all of it!

You recently performed in front of what must have been your largest crowd yet at the Live 8 concert, how was that for you?

- I really enjoyed Live 8, I was quite overwhelmed because it was my first big public performance in a while but it was great. I really enjoyed it on a personal level because of the message it contained - it meant so much to me because of the meaning and importance of the concert. I was glad I could be a part of it.

You’ve been away for a couple of years to raise your son Shavaar, how has motherhood been, and do you think it’s moved you and your music on to another level?

- Yeah definitely, I love being a mum; I love every aspect of it! It’s something I’ve never doubted or felt bad about ?he’s such a positive influence on me. Shavaar has enhanced my views on life and my music. He’s my inspiration.

You gained respect from your last album through your fresh approach and intelligent lyrics, what can we expect from your new album?

- Well, contents wise ?it’s me. Its me just being open, honest and raw ?however you want to put it I’m just being myself. I’m talking about things I agree or disagree with, but it definitely shows growth. I feel the album is more mature and I feel so much more confident now ?I know the sound I want and I’m not scared to try and achieve it. Genre wise it is similar to ‘A little bit deeper? in that it draws on all the types of musical styles that I like and am influenced by ?like R&B, Soul, Reggae, Hip Hop ?all my inspirations, I’m really excited about the new album.

Ok, so you’ve done the underground circuit, you’ve successfully made the crossover for mainstream success, you’ve won awards and are respected as a positive black role model as well as a mother?is there anything Ms Dynamite still wants to achieve?

- Thank you! You know as much as I really appreciate everything ?this is just the beginning for me. I have so many goals I want to achieve on a business level, personal level and a musical level.

Can you tell us about anything you have planned?

- I’d rather talk about it when it’s done. I prefer to do things rather than just talk about it. There is a lot more I want to do, I’m a very ambitious and creative person but I’ve got to be realistic about what’s possible. I’ve learnt that lesson already! I have so many dreams ?we’ll see what happens!

Well, we will definitely watch this space, if anyone is capable of going on to achieve great things in their life ?Ms Dynamite is certainly one of them. It is rare to meet someone so grounded that possesses true star quality.
Her 2nd album is only a couple of months away and it will be sure to confirm her as one of the most promising British talents to emerge from the Urban music scene in current years. We look forward to it eagerly and wish you every success Niomi.

No comments:

Post a Comment